Saturday, August 16, 2014

Training Opportunities with Tim for Professionals!

Timothy Gordon, MSW, RSW; ACT Co-Trainer; Consultation Facilitator
        There might come a time in your professional career when you get tired, maybe the things you're doing in session just don't work. You keep doing what the manual tells you but it doesn't seem to help the people you sit across from, the people you deeply wish to help. Maybe you're tired of the pathologizing rhetoric, telling you that people need to be "fixed" and that until then, they're broken. Maybe you've been feeling like you're alone trying to do things differently, swimming against the tide.

You are not alone.

There is an entire community of like minded individuals seeking something different. Looking for something that works/is evidence-based and creates powerful change in session. You're seeking something that is scientific but also applicable, something your clients can use. I looked hard to find that place and I found the third wave of CBT.

First, I recommend you connect with the Association for Contextual Behavioral Science. This is the epicentre of all things ACT (Acceptance & Commitment Therapy), becoming a member is not only cheap (values based, you pay what you can with a minimum of $10) but once a member you can join my colleagues and I for free, that's right — free consultation through the ACT Peer Network. Every Friday I'm online facilitating conversations and learning for professionals working in the field of mental health.

If that isn't enough, there's the Contextual Psychology Institute. This is an organization I have been heavily involved with for the last few years and am working as a co-trainer. It's the place where you can go to get cutting edge evidence-based training, to be in a supportive environment that encourages you to try these new skills, and to be surrounded by like-minded individuals. If taking days off of work is complicated for you, we have an online training option that requires a short-term commitment (8 weeks) while maintaining the immersive and experiential learning environment of our ACT workshops.

Full disclosure I am heavily involved in this community I am promoting and I make money from Contextual Psychology Trainings we run. I am involved in giving free peer consultation and offering trainings because working with clients is not where my commitment to mental health ends. It personally means a lot to me to support other professionals doing this very important work.

I feel very fortunate to be involved in training mental health professionals in this way of being,
Tim.